Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pulse Wave

online
Pulse Wave. Oil on panel, 8" x 8".

Last month we spent a gorgeous sunny afternoon in Seattle, in part, appropriately, at Sun Liquor. Their beautiful, retro-inspired cocktail bar adjoins the distillery. The menu boasted so many amazing-looking cocktails, I had to ask for help to decide. I decided on the Accordance, a boozy, bourbon-based drink that I loved. But Sun Liquor doesn't make a bourbon.

I picked up a card for bar manager Eli Hetrick, asking for the Accordance but also (or instead) for a drink that actually used Sun Liquor. He generously came through on all counts, sending me the Accordance and a personal favorite of his, the off-menu Pulse Wave. Taking inspiration from Sun's cool bar, amazing vintage barware collection and beautiful website, I sketched out an idea and painted away.

The problem was, I hadn't had the drink yet. The night I finished the painting, I made the Pulse Wave and realized my painting was not worthy. The drink was far prettier than my prop drink, and it was too good for my slightly muddy, overworked panel. So today I set everything up again and (I hope) did it justice.

Oh, by the way, the Pulse Wave is sort of like an Aviation crossed with a Negroni, with grapefruit. 

Here's my view from the bar of Sun's vintage barware collection:


No comments:

Post a Comment