Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pink Martini, Wrong Glass: The Beginning

This new blog is a spinoff from another blog, where I posted daily paintings of many different subjects. Mixology took over a while ago, finally reaching the point where it needed its own blog. By way of catching up, here is the very first Mixology post to my other blog:



(Original oil on panel, 6" x 6".)

For a few years now, an idea has rattled around in the back of my head. 

Being immersed in a large and specific body of work, I just let it lie. But the idea got more persistent, and the big body of work less so, until it seemed time to act.

I'll get into details later, but the gist of the thing centers around still life and cocktails. As the idea evolved, pastel paintings became oil paintings, and a simple show of small works became a more elaborate and ambitious project.

Painting in oil, from life, is something I haven't attempted since college days. To help with this gear change, I took a workshop with still life painter Carol Marine. Then, after months of painting for spring art festivals, avoiding my studio during street construction, and probably no small amount of procrastination, I finally dug in. 

The past few weeks have been spent practicing. Painting glass and shiny stuff and fruit and all things cocktail have occupied every day, punctuated only by the occasional "prop shop." Scouring antique stores for vintage barware has been a treat, as has making bar-like backdrops such as the tiled mini-wall above.

I'll post select practice pieces here and on Daily Paintworks until I feel my style has evolved enough to do the final paintings. All are available for purchase unless otherwise specified.

Just for fun, here is the ever-growing collection:


Never miss a painting! Subscribe here.



No comments:

Post a Comment